Friday 7 November 2014

Why Everyone Should Love & Read Steven King



As a celebration of Stephen King's 'Revival' being released this month, I've decided to give you a few reasons why you should read Stephen King and put this book on you're Christmas wish list.
Stephen King is one of my all time favourite authors, and if you know me, you'll find this a little strange as my usual choice of genre is Victorian Literature, you know the big heavy hardbacks that you find on a dusty shelf in your Grandmother's house? Yeah, I've probably read that. Why do I love Stephen King so much? It's not just because I love horror and thriller fiction, it's in fact the stories that surround the genres that I'm obsessed with. I bet you're are thinking 'he always writes about the same thing'. No, this is as far away from the truth as you could possibly get. Yes, thriller and horror fiction is his forte, but no two books are the same, I promise you. I would love to meet Stephen King just to ask where his complex ideas come from. His imagination is magical, asking him where his ideas come from would be like asking Dynamo "how did you do that?" - you're not going to get an answer.
1. The King isn't all about gross harrowing details, underneath the cynicism, there is in fact a big sense of humour. At some points, I will be sat in bed trying to stifle my giggles in my dressing gown.

2. He has so much knowledge. As a writer myself, the most valuable advice anyone has given me is to 'write what you know'. If this is the case with King, he must have lived an awfully interesting life. His knowledge of ghost and folk stories is what makes his writing so addictive, it allows us to enter a fantasy world full of endless possibilities.

3. He gives honest advice to aspiring writers like myself: "Read and write four to six hours a day. If you cannot find time for that, you can't expect to become a good writer". He gets up each day and sets a mark of 2000 words and doesn't stop writing until he's met the amount.

4. He's a genius in making the horrific incidents from his novels seem absolutely normal or possible in everyday life.

5. I have been reading Stephen King from my early teens, and now at twenty I still enjoy his works.

6. If you're more of short story lover than a bookworm, he's written 160. I recommend "Riding The Bullet".

7. He has a house in Bangor. I'm Welsh, I just put this one in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment